Saturday, April 19, 2008

As suspected....

You know what really irritates me? When Philip makes some smartass comment like, "You know nothing will get done this week," just to irritate me, and then he turns out to be right. Of course, as Thomas puts it, he is rarely wrong. Thanks, Thomas, for having my back on that one!

Anyway, earlier in the week Philip made that comment about the concrete not getting poured this week, so I was ecstatic to find that it would be poured on Friday. And since I didn't hear anything to the contrary, I drove out to the site to see the newly-hardening concrete on Friday night to find NOTHING! Need I say I was furious?

Not only was I irritated that it didn't happen yet we didn't know, but I was also irritiated to waste probably a gallon and a half of gas. What's that, like $5 or more nowadays? Suffice it to say, I was mad enough that Philip didn't argue with me about who was to call Brad this time. I think he realized I was past the point of civility and reason.

Turns out, Brad didn't realize until late in the afternoon that the concrete would not be poured, and it was because the concrete pumper (or whatever) had broken earlier in the day. He did line up someone different to be out there Monday morning and has a full week of activity lined up for next week. I hope so, but I'm learning that it's a toss up as to whether or not it will really happen.

I realize that my posts probably don't paint my contractor in the best light. I shouldn't do that...you just have to realize this is a venting tool for me in addition to an update for you all. I do trust him and his work; otherwise, I wouldn't still be working with him. We are just very different people. I think I should get a daily phone call update to ease my mind, and he apparently has it all under control and doesn't think it's important to give me the blow by blow. And yes, I know I could call and bug him a couple times a day, but I don't want to be totally irritating either.

Many of you have assured me that once they start the framing, the construction will go much quicker. I hope you're right. I do have to say that at this point, Brad has been relying pretty much on other people and their timeframes, like the masons and the concrete company. So many of the delays are not his doing. Just to be fair...

Wish me luck next week to see some concrete pouring and some framing beginning. I'll post new pics when something out there looks different.

No comments: