Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Mailbox


I never really thought that putting up a mailbox would be a big deal. We went to the post office, got permission to just stick one up, so all we needed was to go to Lowes and get it. However, if you know me, then you probably could have told me that this was yet another little thing worthy of my obsession.

We did go to Lowes to check out mailboxes, and then to Home Depot, and then off to a different Lowes. After probably an hour of standing in the aisle debating all the pros and cons, we chose a black metal mailbox with some nickel trim....we decided that we could use that later when we brick the mailbox in, and we wouldn't waste money. But what about a post? In the end, we decided that probably would be money wasted, no matter how we did it, so we got this plain black metal post that we could just drive into the ground, thinking it would be nice and sturdy until the brick column gets built.

Well, as you can see, because of the slope of the ground, the mailbox arm had to be extended as far as possible to be the right height for delivery, which really looks stupid. What you can't see is how much the box wobbles, even with Mr. Philip behind the wrenches and ratchets.

Oh well, despite our best efforts and all the hours of agonizing over this one, it didn't turn out quite as expected. However, it is up, allowing me to begin changing my address on stuff now, instead of having to use the temporary address. I hated the idea of changing our address twice so close together. Now I'm going to send myself some mail to test it out. Maybe I'll send myself a birthday card. Happy birthday to me!

No comments: